Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Um, Yeah. Here I am

And the post topic of the day isn't worth breaking the hiatus. I just read a CNN headline that says "Black women who use the word 'ho' say Imus can't". Excuse me, when did the word 'ho' become exclusive to black women? I've said 'ho' a lot in my life and not when referring to Santa Claus and I am neither black nor a woman.

What I've been sort of shocked by in the whole Imus thing is the publicity it is getting and how it has been the topic on sports talk radio for about a week. Here's the thing that gets me: Most of the people in country didn't hear Imus say the bad things when he said them. Rather they heard them when they were being reported. The thing that is wrong with that is this: presuming that the reason people are upset that he said these things are because they are hurtful to a large segment of our population, then why are we repeating these hurtful things for so long such that we spread the hurt from the limited numbers that heard the statements first hand to everyone. At some point, when do we blame the reporting media for reporting hurtful things? Maybe never, but something worth considering.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sad, Bradling, that your only comment is a spam. I am still reading your blog when you update! I still drink Starbucks. How are you? It's been a while. I hope you're well! xxjenn

5:00 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Okay, Jenn. I tried to post a comment on your page, but it won't allow me to post anonamously. So, I'll post here. Are you married or what?

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not married yet! We set a date for May 2009. Graduating and all that nonsense first. I don't think I'll be back in the US for a while; at least until after the 2008 elections. How've you been? :)

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home