Friday, June 02, 2006

Its not the cards that run hot or cold, its me

I was thinking about cards as I was trying to sleep and during this period of half-sleep/half-cognizance I was able to put together a thought that had been at the back part of my brain for a while. As background, I play lots of SNGs. That is what I play when I speak of playing poker. And there are hot streaks and there are cold streaks where you can win 10 in a row or lose ten in a row. (The losing streaks invariably are longer than the winning streaks but the "streaks" are the variance (or is it?))

Anyway, what occurred to me is that streaks become self-sustaining in that when the streak is a winning one, I let the cards come to me. During the losing streaks I am trying so hard to win that I force the cards and overplay the cards rather than waiting for the best opportunities. Its a very Tao of Poker kind of thing (the book not the blog) where I must force myself to get the right mindset.

Anyway, its not the cards that run hot or cold, its the way I play them.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dingo says...

I'll give you three Helpful Hints:
1:Female
2:A Town Like ____
3:Blogger

4:04 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Well, those weren't very helpful. I've determined your name is Alice. That ain't ringing the bells that I had hoped it would. I've search utterlyboring and Monkey for Alice and that isn't helping. Here is my question (and you may not know the answer): Have I ever read your blog?
Or alternatively: Have I ever met you?

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Close but no banana...
more HH
1.No, Yes
2.Not Alice, in Alice
3.search blogger
4.That's four clues!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Brad said...

Now you've gone and made it harder. Are you an Ali?
Are you famous for arranging photographs? (because if not, my Blogger search has been fruitless).

How about this - I am assuming we met back in High School. Is this correct?

If so, are you still in Oregon?

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, damnit! I live in Alice Springs, Australia... hence Dingo!

We went to highschool together. My initials are HH.(Ummm were HH) Got it now. If not I obviously didn't leave an impression, so it doesn't matter anyway.

1:32 AM  
Blogger Brad said...

Okay, Heather, those prior hints took me in the wrong direction. I almost asked what HH were, but then I figured out that it meant Helpful Hints, missing the double entendre (sp?). I probably would have been better off not figuring it out and asking. Now that I know this much, I am going to risk proving your right by guessing which Heather you are.

You are the Heather who walked with Chris at Graduation.

Being as I have only spoken to 3 people from HS in the last 5 years, and have a horrible memory for names, knowing you last initial doesn't help (and it doesn't help that I didn't get a yearbook).

But by the fact that you said your last initial used to be "H" I take it to mean you are married. How did your life travels bring you to Australia?

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home