Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Story of Sofa

About two years ago, after I had been in the Kickball world for a while, but not in the dodgeball world, the kickball leagues started up an offshoot league for bowling. At the bowling alley where we played, the scores were kept electronically and we were able to put in our names. Some of the other players had nicknames or just came up with something to put in as their bowling names. One had Sweet Nectar, another Mutha Fooqua, another Pancake Feet. They asked me what I wanted my name to be, and I said Sofa King. I am not sure why I chose that or how that popped into my head at that particular moment, but in retrospect it was very fortuitous. So each week, my team entered my name as Sofa King. And we were a loud team. When I'd get a strike, they'd yell "How Good is he? He's Sofa King Good." Keep in mind this bowling league was made up primarily of people who also played kickball. So, while in the bowling league a short spring season of kickball was about to start up and the team I normally play for somehow got full and I was left without a seat. So I was introduced to this guy named Corey. His team had sucked (actually it had been the league's joke, but that is another story) and I joined up. I played on this team with several people who I had played kickball against in the past and also bowled with. Come the first week, Corey was announcing where everyone was going to play (there was another Brad on the team) and Corey said "the other Brad in Left" and Sorrel (a girl I had played kickball against and bowled near during the season) said who is Brad? Turns out, she only knew me as Sofa. I guess you'd say that would be the moment that Sofa became my nickname.

Now, I introduce myself as Sofa. I've dropped the King as it is unnecessary, and people remember that name because it is so unique. Anyway, that is the story of origins of Sofa. The evolution of Sofa could probably use a full post, but that is what I have time for today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

That's a nice bedtime story :)

6:03 PM  
Blogger hydinfo said...

Sofa King and the league team or Sofa King and the Kickball - you can plan for a movie with the real fun based story. Wonderful...

----------
CHRIS
sofa

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home