Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Silva, Iowa, and Name-calling

So, during my second year at law school, this guy named Frank Silva started this petition to make it so that the University of Oregon would not play teams with "racist" mascots such as the Florida Seminoles. I recall that Mr. Silva got pissed at me for not being fully supportive of his idea (actually I thought it was ridiculous since I went to that particular law school for the football program and I wanted the best for it, not some ultra-politically correct guidelines) and wrote and threatened me. Anyway, apparently the Iowa Hawkeyes have a similar policy in place. Greg at the Sports Law Blog notes that Iowa's own nickname, the Hawkeyes, is based on an Indian name. I, too, wonder why no one has said anything about this before.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home