Monday, May 17, 2004

The Great Gatsby

When I first started reading this book, I found it to be boring and fairly poor. I could not understand how it would make all sorts of best-novels lists. Well, today I finished it. I now understand the greatness of the novel. The language is unique and the orchestra of the plot cresendoes as it draws you to the sorrowful conclusion. The bulk of the text is an examination of the pompous lifestyle while the end is a brutal reexamination of the lifestyle and a triumphant restatement that time past is time lost.

the time i spent reading this book was not time lost

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

also a good book: "lie down in darkness" by william styron. it's very dark but excellent. i highly recommend it. (also - goes without saying - anything by chuck palahniuk is worth reading, often twice.) take care. xx wonderchai.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home