Monday, March 31, 2003

I'm baaaaaaaacccckkk. So I was away on Spring Break and so much happened. A war for one. Protests. The New Plague. The NCAA Bracket Busting Tourney. Civilization III. Buffy. All these things need to have something said about them.
The War This little post will not do the war justice. I watched hours upon hours of war coverage over the break. I couldn't get enough. It was odd when "the video" was released in that a few hours after its release one of the announcers referred to the video as one "everyone has seen by now". I sat there dumbfounded. I had been watching tv for hours straight and hadn't seen the video. It's like they had their own private club where they watched the video while in commercial but didn't deem it acceptable for national publication. Damn their concern for the families and decency. I am not really sure that I want to see the video, but the point is that we are getting candy coated viewing of this war. For all the talking the networks do for how great this "inserted journalist" phenomena is, we aren't seeing much horror of war. Most of what we see are these buildings in the distance getting blown up. On this note, I have to give the ABC guy who has a latenight news show (I can't recall his name right now) some major props for actually showing dead Iraqi soilders. It brings home that this is war and not a war game.

The Protests Okay there have been a lot of protests. They are big. But they will do nothing. That is what I have to say about that. But they have brought up the topic of nationalism and patriotism. While protesting the war isn't necessarily unpatriotic, I do think that perhaps the signs of "Impeach Bush" and "Bush isn't my president" are a bit unpatriotic. Why? Because they seem to refute the laws of the nation as not right or not worthy of controlling. Just one man's opinion.

The Plague I am surprised this isn't getting more coverage. I am sorry, an incurable disease that is spread like a cold that can kill and can possible survive outside the body, thereby being spread through time displaced contact of surfaces, should get more than a blurb saying people in Asia are dying. More people have died from this than Americans have been killed in combat in this war.

NCAA Tourney Who could have guessed this Final Four? Most of my teams were out before the Elite Eight. I was like 5th place after the first weekend. of the tourney, but am now like 5th from the bottom. Oh well. There goes $15 bucks that I borrowed from the government.

Civ III So I bought Civ III at the begining of Spring Break and spent hours upon hours playing it over the break. It is an addictive game and is very good. If you liked Civ I, you'll love Civ III. More complex, more societies, and better transfer through time. I really could talk about this for a while, but no one cares.

Buffy I really didn't like the last episode. Giles was not his usual self. Buffy remained stubborn and judgmental. Other that that it was good. Those two things really stuck out at me. All of my female friends loved it because they love Spike, but that is another post altogether.


Ok, at least I have hit the major things I missed. I hope to put more detailed, thoughtful posts in the near future, but given my past, it probably won't happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home