Tuesday, May 16, 2006

When is hitting for the cycle a bad thing?

Last night I played softball, and played just okay. The first game I hit a few singles, but misplayed some balls in the outfield as I had problems judging the balls in the air. The second game, I played a much better game. My first at bat I hit a home run. My second at bat I hit a double and got to third on an infielder error. My third at bat I got a single. Sometime between my third at bat and my fourth, the teams fought over the home-run rule (no team can have more than one more home run than the other team (X+1=Y))since the other team hit a home run which gave them two more than what we had, thereby making the home run an out. Anyway, there was a big hullabalou and the ump almost tossed out our pitcher. (This is the same ump who earlier in the game said something like "You should pay more if you wanted umps to cover the bases" when he made a bad call at third.) Anyway, I hit a deep drive to left, but it stayed in the park. I come around and score for the inside the park homerun when the ball gets there late and the catcher doesn't tag me. I start celebrating until I realize the ump called me out. He claims the catcher tagged me on the hip, a place I most definitely would have felt had I been tagged. The other team essentially conceded I wasn't touched. I suspect this ump made a make-up call. This left me with a triple and the cycle. Instead of scoring and having one less out, we had no runs and an out. In the end we lost by two.

So, to the ump who makes call without seeing them, I say "Should we have to pay more for an ump to watch the game, period?".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home